Recipe: Traditional Meatloaf
Meatloaf is one of those comfort foods that you crave every once in awhile. I love meatloaf so much more now that we use grass fed beef. Grass fed beef has such a distinct flavor and I think it really shines in this dish. The other great thing about this meatloaf is that I put a ton of vegetables into it. This helps a picky kid get a little bit more nutrients into them if they wouldn’t eat carrots or celery alone.
This dish kind of reminds of one of my favorite meals, Shepherd’s Pie. Probably because we do serve this meatloaf with mashed potatoes about half of the time. As far as the vegetables go, we usually add onion, carrots, and celery because we always have those on hand, but I think other vegetables like peppers would be great. We bake our loaf on a cookie sheet instead of a loaf pan and I think that makes it cook a little more evenly. You could use a loaf pan if you prefer. This recipe is kid friendly and Anna ate a huge slice of the meatloaf!
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- ½ medium sweet onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter or ghee
- 2 pounds grass-fed ground beef (80/20 if possible)
- 2 eggs
- 1 Sprigs Rosemary, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Dash Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Cup Panko breadcrumbs (more if needed)
- ½ cup seasoned Italian bread crumbs
- In a large frying pan, melt the butter over medium heat and add in the onions. Cook for about 3 minutes covered.
- Add in the carrots, celery, rosemary and salt/pepper and cook covered for another 3 minutes.
- Remove the pan and let cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees.
- In a large bowl add all the ingredients and mix well with your hands.
- Put all the mixture onto a cookie baking sheet and form into a loaf. Make sure the loaf is not too tall to help with the cooking time.
- Add on the ketchup to the top (as much as you would like) and smooth with a knife.
- Place in the oven for about 55 minutes to a little over an hour. Check to make sure the beef is not red and cooked through.
Like Me On Facebook
- My Healthy Ergonomic Workstation: Standing Desk and Ball Chair
- Recipe: Strawberry Carrot Smoothie
- Recipe: Whole Wheat Peanut Butter Pancakes (and Chocolate Peanut Butter Pancake version!)
- Cinnamon Raisin Quick Bread from 100 Days of Real Food Cookbook
- 40 Real Food Muffin Recipes – Great for Freezing and School Lunches!